A Word From the Outlaw – 002
Last Tuesday was a big day for three former Major League Baseball players as Ichiro, C.C. Sabathia and Billy Wagner were elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
I have written about Hall of Fame selections for over 20 years now and there have been plenty of times when I have questioned the voters thinking and decisions. This year has a pretty good class going into the Hall but I do have to wonder what the one guy who didn’t vote for Ichiro was thinking.
I saw somewhere calling him the all-time hits leader. Naw. Sorry, but for all his faults, Pete Rose is still the all-time leader in hits. It is what it is. You want the all-time hits leader in the National Baseball Hall of Fame, but Rose in now.
Getting back to Ichiro, how do you look at that hit total and be like “you know, I just don’t think he belongs in.” That’s like looking a one of those milkshakes from the Grind in Martin and being like “meh”.
The same thing happened with Derek Jeter a few years back. One voter just didn’t vote for him. At least this time it didn’t devalue an autographed piece in my collection.
District 13-3A
Things look like they are going to get interesting between now and when the District 13-3A Tournament gets underway in the middle of February.
In the girls side of things, Crockett County’s upset over Dyersburg could wind up making things interesting when it comes to seeding. I have seen everyone but Obion County Central at this point and the Lady Rebels are the lone team in the standings without a win.
It’s a three-team race over there in the girls side thanks to Crockett County’s win over the defending state champions. That just means someone will have to work that much harder to get the lead in the race for the top spot in the district. If it were me, the spot I would obviously want is the top seed. It allows you to avoid the 2-3 matchup – the tougher challenge in the semifinals.
Over on the boys side, Obion County Central and South Gibson are at the top. Having seen South Gibson and having seen the books from what Obion County Central has done as well as knowing how this district has gone over the past three seasons, I will not even come close to making a call on who I think will win. While the rest of the field has some work to do, the past has proven its work that can be done.
This column brought to you by:



Comments
Post a Comment