Dyer County’s Hinson named TBCA Sectional Coach of the Year
Jason Peevyhouse
Editor, JP Productions
With the start of the 2025 baseball season less than two months away, Dyer County Head Coach Derek Hinson has been honored by the Tennessee Baseball Coaches Association for his performance during the Choctaws’ run to a second straight TSSAA Class 3A State Tournament as he has been named the Sectional Coach of the Year for Regions 7 and 8.
In his first year as a high school head coach, Hinson led the Choctaws to a 26-13 mark and an appearance in the TSSAA Class 3A State Tournament for the second straight season.
“It’s kind of cliché to say it’s all about the players and your assistant coach, which, it is – 100 percent,” Hinson explained. “I don’t receive this if not for them because of the hard work they but in every day.”
Hinson, heading into his second year, knows the expectations are set higher after his and the Choctaws’ success last season.
“I know am very appreciative of all this because you’re not promised that you’re going to go back,” the Choctaw head coach said. “I am very blessed and honored to have this award.
“I have it mostly because of the kids I get to work with every single day and the coaching staff. It’s really hats off to them because, honestly, you’ve got to have a really good staff and you’ve got to have really good kids to get this kind of award.”
Hinson added his experience as an assistant coach for nine years helped him as well as the head coaches he played and learned under. The Dyer County head coach listed former DCHS Head Coach Preston Ozment, Robert White, George White, Rusty Thompson and Nick Thompson as well as Ben Glasgow/
“Those guys have always been tremendous for my success because I got to learn from the best,” Hinson explained. “I feel like that, honestly.”
Hinson also credited the outgoing seniors from the 2024 squad as being a big part of how he won the award.
“Those guys that have moved on, I have kept up with them,” Hinson said. “Today, Trey Tarkington got into a relief appearance Dyersburg State. Kole Fenton started last week at Walters State. You’ve got JD Binkley who could, potentially be a starter or No. 2 catcher at Bethel. And, then you’ve got Eli Powell who could also come in to relieve at Bethel.
“That just shows how much hard work and dedication those guys put in that they can go and do that as freshmen in JUCO or NAIA. Drew Ladd and Trent Wilson were also blue collar guys. What they did behind the scenes for our program was unbelievable. This award, like I said, is about the players.”
Coverage of this story brought to you by:





Comments
Post a Comment