End of an era: Dyer County’s Whittle retires, ending nine-year run as Choctaw head coach
Jason Peevyhouse
Editor, JP Productions Sports
After 30 years working in the Dyer County Schools System and
helping build the careers of football players at both the high school and
middle school levels, Dyer County Head Coach David Whittle announced he is
retiring after the end of the current school year.
“It’s hard to step away after 30 years, but I know it’s the
right time,” Dyer County Head Coach David Whittle said in a statement released
on the school’s social media platforms. “This program has been my second home.
“Watching these boys grow into men, both on and off the
field, has been the greatest reward of my career. I’ll miss the Friday night lights
and the locker room talks – but, most of all, I’ll miss the relationships. I’m
grateful for every moment.”
JP Productions Sports spoke with Whittle on Monday morning after
he informed the school and his players of his decision.
“Sometimes you just know when it’s time,” Whittle explained.
“I’ve enjoyed it through the years.
“I’ve made great friendships with coaches around the area
and guys on my staff. But, it’s more about the players. I’ve had a lot of guys
I’ve coached 20-something years ago reach out to me today. That to me is more important
than anything or any of the wins. Being int eh lockerroom with those guys and
just doing things off the field with the young men. It’s been a pleasure and it’s
been great. I’ve been on the sidelines for 30 years. That’s a long time to be
on the sidelines coaching any sports. I was fortunate enough to do all those
years here in Newbern.”
Whittle served as the head coach of Newbern Junior High and
Northview Middle School from 1996-2015.
Over the last nine seasons, he has guided the Dyer County Choctaw
football team through its longest prolonged period of success. During Whittle’s
tenure, the orange and white have made the TSSAA Football Playoffs during each
of the past eight seasons. The streak is the longest in Dyer County High School
Football history. He retires with the second most wins in the Dyer County
program’s history.
In 2024, the Choctaws finished the season with an 11-2 mark
including a 9-1 record in the regular season. Dyer County’s lone loss during
the regular season was to Class 2A runner-up Westview. The Choctaws were
eliminated from the postseason in the Class 4A quarterfinals by Melrose, the
eventual state runner-up.
On the way to all this, Dyer County won it’s first Region 7-4A
Championship since 2007.
Whittle’s teams never finished below the .500 mark during
the regular season. Whittle retires with a career record of 63-40 at the high school
level.
“I never really worried about wins and losses,” Whittle
admitted. “It was about developing kids.
“If you do the little things right, then the winning will
take care of itself. Over the years, I think we’ve improved. The last two or
three years, we’ve had over 100 young men in the football program and finished
the season with over 100 young men. That, to me, says a lot of guys want to be
around our football program and what our coaches are doing around our football
program.”
The team was informed of Whittle’s decision on Monday morning.
“It was an emotional deal,” the Choctaw head coach said. “It’s
just one of those things where it’s to do.
“You’re around them every day. You watch them when they come
in as freshman and you watch them grow. By the time they’re seniors, hopefully
when they leave our program, they leave as young men. We try to teach them to
do the right things – on and off the field. It was not easy, that’s for sure. I’ve
had several sleepless nights the last few nights struggling over this decision.
But, I do think for my family and for me, it was the right decision. I told the
guys today, if I can’t be 100-percent in for you, you need somebody that is. I
think we’ve got the program in a really good spot right now. I expect them this
year and the year after to win a lot of ballgames. I think we’ve got a really
good team coming back next year and the year after.”
Through its Dyer County Choctaw Athletics social media, the
school released the following statement:
“After 30 incredible seasons as a football coach in the Dyer
County School System, countless Friday night lights, and a legacy built on hard
work, heart and humility Coach Whittle is officially hanging up the whistle.
From victories to life long lessons, Coach Whittle has
shaped more than just athletes- he’s built a family. His leadership, passion
and unwavering belief in his players have left an unforgettable mark on our
school, team and community.
Thank you, Coach, for the memories, the motivation, and the
magic. You’ll always be a part of the Choctaw Family! #TRIBE4LIFE”
“I want to thank all of the administration,” Whittle said. “Dr.
(Larry) Lusk took a chance on me and Coach (David) Armstrong when he was the A.D.
And, Mrs. Brimm.
“They all took a chance on me. I really appreciate that.”
Dyer County High School Athletic Director Chris Parker confirmed the search has begun for the next DCHS Football Head Coach.





Comments
Post a Comment